Friday, October 14, 2005

I Plan, Therefore I Am

Andrew, this is a pretty good synopsis of my PM development over the last 10 years:

Beginner PM
1) I plan
2) Things don’t go according to the plan
3) I beat up myself

Novice PM
1) After learning how to play the estimating game, I plan
2) Things don’t go according to the plan
3) I beat up the developers

Journeyman PM
1) After learning about Waterfall and SDLC, I plan
2) Things don’t go according to the plan
3) I beat up the customer

Expert PM
1) After realizing that a plan is based on estimates of the unknown, I plan
2) Things don’t go according to the plan
3) I adapt the plan
4) Nobody gets hurt

4 Comments:

Blogger Jeremy D. Miller said...

You've given me hope for a better world. If only the PM's I've had in my lifetime (including my stint at TW) would understand the unpredictability and learn to adapt. Nothing is more miserable than the "embarassment meeting" where the PM goes over every story estimate vs. actual to tell you that your estimates were all wrong.

October 17, 2005 at 10:55:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Rickard Johansson said...

Somehow, to reply "Well, that's why we call them estimates" seldom improves the situation at that point.

October 22, 2005 at 8:38:00 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I noticed the question on the net when I googled, "how long is a piece of string".There is an answer.
In the Middle ages a farmer carried twine to tie up the sheaves of wheat (or other crops similar)when harvesting. The length of twine averaged 13 and 1/2 inches. Les Wentworth. Australia.

December 28, 2006 at 5:25:00 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great work guys. Good resources here, very useful. Your web site is helpful. I will bookmark!
- www.blogger.com s
spaghetti alla carbonara

December 29, 2006 at 9:30:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home